Jimani uses Sherline rotary indexers as one of the main accessories for our Langolier fiber laser marking systems. About 2 months ago we sold a Langolier to Sherline to mark their components internally. The Vice President of Manufacturing for Sherline, Karl Rohlin, contacted us a few weeks ago and asked if we would be interested in a custom designed manual X-Y table for the Langolier. We talked about it and decided that we should make one.
The following photos show the new X/Y table up close and integrated with a Langolier Open Table system.
Karl Rohlin says "A few months ago we purchased a Langolier engraving laser from Jimani. I was very impressed with Jimani. They are a very solid company from the top down, and they build a great machine.
Jimani is already using our rotary table, and we also make our own X/Y tables. I believed that we could build a custom X/Y table with a tooling plate that would enhance the operation of the laser while adding ease and versatility to set-ups.
- The X/Y tables are available with handwheels calibrated in your choice of either inch or metric increments.
- The X/Y tables are manufactured primarily from 6061-T6 aluminum and finished with black anodizing.
- The table travel is 12.9” in the X axis and 3.7” in the Y axis.
- The saddle has anti-backlash nuts to compensate for backlash.
- Table movement is smooth, easy, and accurate.
- The tooling plate is 8” x 18” x ¾” black anodized 6061 aluminum.
- The overall height of the X/Y base and the tooling plate is 3.9”. This offers a nice low profile to the large tooling plate.
The tooling plate has dual purpose ¼” holes, on 1” centers. These holes are threaded ¼-20 on the bottom and reamed to ¼ on the top. This allows each hole to be used as a “part locating” hole when you insert a ¼” dowel pin. Each hole can also be used as a clamping hole using the ¼-20 thread.
In addition to the ¼-20 holes, the plate also has 10-32 holes which are positioned to mount the rotary table and tilting angle plate.
We at Sherline Products believe that our 18” X/Y base with the engraving tooling plate is a great addition to the Jimani engraving laser. I was very excited to work with Jim Earman on this accessory and to have the opportunity to make a custom accessory for his machines. We really like the finished product of machine and accessory and hope you do too."
See the Sherline rotary axis component in action:
Please contact us if you are interested in this new laser engraving X/Y tooling plate.
This post was published on December 11, 2014 and updated on July 10, 2015.